“When you grow up surviving, dreaming is a luxury.” Beth Orr, Director of Clinical Services
When you’re raised in poverty, it’s hard to believe you could really have a different life. Single moms and dads can’t afford to dream of a career. If a minimum wage job is all you’re qualified for, then that’s just what you do because the kids have to eat. You just do what you have to do to put food on the table, clothes on their bodies and a roof over their heads. But you can’t get out of poverty that way.
Education and job-skills training are long-term solutions for families. If they get some support and good child care for their kids, even for a few months, they can finish high school or get skills training that will enable them to actually provide for their family.
What You Can Do to Help a Family Stand on Their Own
Education and a good job can launch someone from homelessness to success. Here’s how you can help:
- Give: Your gifts help make it possible for men and women to get on a path to success that will stay with them for the rest of their lives.
- Volunteer: While their parents are working or completing school, you can play and read to the children, rock babies or simply be a helping hand to our staff.
- Employ a resident: Are you an employer who can help one of our residents achieve their full potential? Contact us to learn how you can help a family on their way to self-sufficiency.
The Life-Skills Programs We Offer Adults
We’ve got programs in Hillsborough and Pasco Counties:
- Adult GED: In partnership with local school districts, we offer GED classes so that our adult residents can finish high school.
- Employment Lab: We help men and women with job searches, resume writing, interviewing skills and other employment counseling.
- Culinary Arts Program: We teach students to prepare, cook and serve food in a personalized learning environment. Our culinary arts graduates are ready for jobs in the food industry.
- Financial services: Individual and group financial counseling with a focus on budgeting, maintaining a checking and savings account, and other fundamental principles of money management.
- Classes and counseling: Marriage, anger management, spiritual development.
- Child care: We offer child care on site to parents who are enrolled full-time in our education programs. Moms and dads have peace and can focus on their jobs knowing their children are being cared for in a safe and nurturing environment.
Need help? Need information? Come in or contact us:
2301 North Tampa Street
Tampa, FL 33602
Pasco County, Florida
3214 US Highway 19
Holiday, FL 34691